Conference on the Law on Financial Restructuring and Non-Performing Loans resolution in Ukraine
Kiev, 25 -26 April 2018
The EBRD, in collaboration with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the Independent Association of Banks of Ukraine (NABU) organized a two-day conference on the Law for Financial Restructuring (LFR) and NPL resolution in Kiev. The conference aimed to take stock of the results achieved so far and also spur exchanges of views between participants on ways to improve NPL resolution in Ukraine. It brought together leading bankers, international investors, financial and legal advisors, government representatives as well as European and international institutions to discuss, among other things, the impact of the LFR in resolving NPLs in Ukraine, and the critical linkages between restructuring, effective insolvency systems and proper tax incentives to support a robust NPL resolution regime.
- Day 1: Law on Financial Restructuring – Lessons and Experience from the First Year of Operation.
This day kicked-off with a debate focusing on the lessons learned from the first year of operation of LFR, whose financial and logistical operations are supported by the NABU and the EBRD. This session featured case studies and panel discussions among corporate and institutional stakeholders and advisors involved in the LFR process in Ukraine.
- Day 2: IFIs’ Perspective on Ukraine’s progress with NPL resolution framework, insolvency framework and NPL transaction market.
This roundtable discussion brought together representatives from international financial institutions, such as the EBRD, the World Bank and the IMF, who discussed the impact of legislation in enhancing NPLs resolution and investments in Ukraine.
- Day 1:
- “LFR: First Year of Operation – Annual report” by Gordon Johnson, President, EMA Global and Yulia Kostetska,Head, Secretariat for Financial Restructuring
- Day 2:
- “The NPL situation in Ukraine” by Vitaliy Vavryshchuk, NBU
- “NPL resolution framework in Ukraine” by Vahe Vardanyan, Lead Financial Sector Specialist, World Bank
- “Insolvency procedure as a catalyst for wider use of OOCR and NPL resolution – Pre-insolvency Rehabilitation under Article 6 of the Bankruptcy Law” by Gordon Johnson, President, EMA Global
- “Ukraine resolution via Prozorro.sale” by Oleksii Sobolev, CEO, ProZorro.sale